News roundup: Lawmakers urge PTC renewal, Missouri's largest wind farm, Vestas grows in CO
We start off the week with news of DC lawmakers urging a renewal of the PTC, a new wind farm proposal for Missouri, and how Vestas keeps growing in Colorado.
Members of Congress from both sides of the aisle sent letters to their leaders this week, asking for a renewal of the key Production Tax Credit for wind power.
- “Like all businesses, the wind industry seeks certainty and predictability so that long-term project decisions and investments can be made,” said the letter signed by Sens. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) and Mark Udall (D-Colo.), along with 24 other senators.
- Reps. Steve King (R-Iowa) and Dave Loebsack (D-Iowa) sent a similar letter along with 116 of their colleagues.
- “We look forward to Congress, in particular the Senate Finance Committee, acting quickly to extend the PTC and ITC so that the U.S. remains a global leader and our businesses can continue building, expanding and hiring,” Tom Kiernan, CEO of the American Wind Energy Association, said in a Friday statement.
The proposed Mill Creek Wind Farm in northwest Missouri will be the largest in the state when built, providing important opportunities for jobs and economic development:
- Element Power officials say the operation near Oregon in Holt County will be the largest wind farm in the state. It will generate 200 megawatts of electricity at the Mill Creek Wind Farm. The power will be sold [to] Kansas City Power & Light.
- Construction will create 300 jobs, with 12 to 14 permanent full-time jobs available when the wind farm is operating.
Vestas has been hiring quickly to help meet record-breaking demand this year, and a Denver Business Journal highlights the impact it’s having on jobs:
- The Danish wind-energy turbine manufacturer is once again in expansion mode with new orders and new hires ahead for its Colorado operations.
- Watch the video here.
Timothy Cama, “Lawmakers urge renewal of wind energy tax credits.” The Hill. 21 March 2014.
Staff, “State's largest wind farm planned in NW Missouri.” The Kansas City Star. 24 March 2014.
Kathleen Lavine, “Behind the cover story: A new day at Vestas.” Denver Business Journal. 21 March 2014.